Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Extending school days.....

Disclaimer: This blog is not meant to be political or start a debate. This is the concerns that my kids came home from school with today. For starters I have to let all of you know, my views are not bias.. I would feel this way regardless of who our president was. While it is true I did not vote for "our" president, its also true .... I did not vote at all. Readers please do not take offense, its not what I intend.



My step daughter came home from Jr. high today very anixous and nervous about the news she had learned from her history teacher. Apparently Obama has plans or ideas on extending the length of the school day or calendar year. Comparing us to other countries and how the students in those countries go longer into the summer. To list a few of those countries and stats: Japan 243 days, south korea 220, Israel 216, and the list goes on. You can view the complete list here ..

http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/2009/03/obama-proposes-longer-school-days-extended-school-year/



Obama wants to extend classes by 3 hrs and day or extend the school year into the summer. He also is proposing the students go to school on the weekend. Now this concerns me as much as it did my step daughter. If students spend 9 hrs in school, and a typical 8 hrs sleeping, this only leaves 7 hrs to be spend with family, friends, homework, dinner and not to mention any after school activity they may have. When is there time for children to be kids? While I do believe education is an important part of a childs life and critical for their future. I also believe that kids need time away from school just to have a childhood.



So my step daughter rants and raves about how she found out. Her history teacher brought the subject up and comented on it, however when the students voiced their opinions, they were told to be quiet and keep their views to themselves. What ever happened to freedom of speech? How about a right to have your own views , thoughts and opinions? The students have all right to be upset and have questions about this. It directly affects their future and that is something they should have a say in.



My youngest daughter over heard her sister talking and this also sparked her interest. She says to me "Mommy what about kids that go to chruch on sunday, how can they go if they have school?" She then begining to ask me " If this happens , can I skip school on the weekends?" So I try and reasure her that this probably will not pass in congress. My daughter is only 8 years old and I don't think this is something she should have to worry about but being the little adult that she is...this worries her.



Some of my other concerns include, What happens to family vacations if students are in school longer? What about holidays, Will students be forced to give up some of their days off? Where does the funding come from to pay the teachers to stay longer hours and extended time into the summer?



This is part of what obama has to say .... “We can no longer afford an academic calendar designed when America was a nation of farmers who needed their children at home plowing the land at the end of each day,” Obama said. He continued to say “That calendar may have once made sense, but today, it puts us at a competitive disadvantage. Our children spend over a month less in school than children in South Korea. That is no way to prepare them for a 21st century economy.”



Now this makes me think... Is having them attend school longer and preparing them for the 21-century more important than letting them have a childhood. I truly believe that this plan will not raise test scores and attendance but they will decline. Students will be more tired, care less and its even possible that drop-out rates will increase. So is this really worth it?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/09/28/2009-09-28_president_obama_wants_to_keep_kids_in_school_longer_extended_days_weekend_hours_.html

No comments:

Post a Comment